I must admit that I have lacking domestic skills when it comes to the cooking department. Most of my life, my mom and I visited local restaurants for the majority of our meals together, and in my early 20’s, I mainly lived off of meals consisting of approximately 3 ingredients and could be cooked in 15 minutes. Not a lot of experience. However, one of my personal goals is to learn more recipes, get more creative in the kitchen, and cook most meals at home. Slowly, I’m tackling this goal with Jon’s help!
A few nights ago we put together these yummy pork chops and asparagus (my favorite!) for dinner. It was quite yummy if I must say so myself.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly slicked
- 4 pork loin chops, 1 inch thick
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- garlic powder tot taste
- 1/2 pint red grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 pint yellow grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook until golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in the skillet. Season pork chops with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and place in the skillet (ours were cooked on the grill). Cook to desired doneness. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet. Return onions to skillet, and stir in tomatoes, garlic, and basil. Cook and stir about 3 minutes, until tomatoes are tender. Mix in balsamic vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Top chops with the onion and tomato mixture, and sprinkle with feta cheese to serve.
- 1 lb trimmed asparagus spears
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- pepper to taste
Melt butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus and cook for approximately 10 minutes (till desired firmness). Remove from skillet, drain excess oils, and sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper.